Many have said raising children should come with an instruction manual. While there are plenty of self-help books on the market for parents, a more modern approach for seeking advice is by listening to podcasts. There are shows for every walk of life featuring experts in a particular field to everyday consumers. Here are a few parenting podcasts you should add
to your playlist.
to your playlist.
- The Mighty Mommy Quick and Dirty Tips lives up to the name. This show keeps the busy parent in mind. Host Cheryl Butler keeps podcasts under 15 minutes. Many episodes are around 10 minutes or so. Butler offers advice in dealing with everything from colicky babies to toddler tantrums to tween mood swings.
- Respectful Parenting: Janet Lansbury Unruffled is also a quick and concise podcast. Lansbury is a best-selling author. Each show she answers questions from listeners and readers of her books.
Lansbury has a calm and soothing voice, which makes the show even more enjoyable to listen to. Her insight on real parenting issues provides value to listeners on common issues many moms and dads face.
- One Bad Mother is better to listen to with the earbuds in or away from your children. Biz Ellis and Theresa Thorn are the hosts of the show and remind parents at the beginning that it’s an adults only podcast.
The ladies share their experiences, both good and bad, in the world of motherhood without sugarcoating anything. Sometimes their language gets salty. Episodes typically run just over an hour and sometimes include a guest.
- Mom & Dad Are Fighting also contains some explicit language. These shows are a bit shorter, averaging between 45 and 55 minutes. Allison Benedikt and Dan Kois from Slate Magazine. The two offer advice on a variety of topics, while taking calls from listeners.
- The Boob Group is just what the name implies. It’s a podcast all about breastfeeding. This show is part of New Mommy Media, a group of podcasts for parents and couples. The Boob Group includes a panel of women who have had various experiences with breastfeeding.
The discussion is open and honest and answers questions from women in a non-judgmental tone. Topics include breastfeeding a preemie, the best clothes to wear while nursing and tips on pumping. Most shows range between 30 and 45 minutes and is perfect listening while nursing your child.
There are plenty of other great podcasts available on the topic of parenting. A quick search will net many results. These are just a few of the favorites we found.